Monday, July 4, 2011

The Smithy

what is missing in this photo?

also gone in this photo

the pillows on the day bed

this photo has a bolster on the floor

this photo has been in multiple place around the web

great shelves with bowls

simple iron hook for keys as the base of the steps

the best bedroom

kitchen cabinets in the bedroom?

cabinet details, but not the cabinets above

another set of shelves with more bowl

more color

thought for the day

bleeding heats in the window box

“The Smithy” is a property for sale in Schoharie County – one of the most verdant, untouched, and wide-ranging landscapes of upstate New York. The tiny hamlet of West Fulton lies at the crossroads of the county in the far northern foothills of the Catskill Mountains. Here the steep land rising up in both directions from the northbound Schoharie Creek starts to give way beyond the striking summit of Vroman’s Nose, a hiker’s paradise, to the rolling hills and valleys of the north.  West Fulton was once known as Sapbush Hollow due to it’s abundant maple trees and serene vantage point, nestled into a glen between Rossman Hill and the incline further up to Patria State Forest. It is one of several hamlets that make up the larger town of Fulton, first settled around 1715.

The simple house was originally built as a blacksmith’s shop in the 1800’s. It is situated on a small plot along the county road, near a little bridge that crosses the rushing Panther Creek, and just beside a public park that’s home to a single-room schoolhouse. In the 1930’s a second floor “apartment” was created above the crossbeams, which eventually became living quarters for the growing family that built it, while the rustic lower level slowly graduated from smithery to automobile repair. By the 1950’s the addition of two gas pumps and an orange “Gulf” sign, hand-painted onto the side of the house, distinguished it as the only filling station for miles in all directions. The house continued in this vein for decades, with the ground floor functioning variously as a shop for repairing cars, radios, and eventually televisions, until it was sold to an art and antique dealer in the early 1990’s, who lived upstairs and used the lower level for storage. “The Smithy” became our second home in 1999.

Copy and photos from The Smithy as well as info for purchasing this home.

No comments: